Tuesday, January 11, 2011

baby steps in the nursery

     I didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped in the little one's room last weekend. She got a nasty cold and we got some super cold rainy weather. Neither is very conducive to painting or much of anything that requires two hands. However I did manage to get two book shelves up that I finished last week.
     I saw the idea for these here. I didn't use her directions but the concept is the same. Basically you want two boards to form an "L" shape with a smaller board forming a lip in the front. I nailed mine together because I like fast and easy, but it would be more professional to screw them together. The idea is for it to look like this when you are done.


     I made two, sanded them and then painted them white. I would suggest using wood filler to smooth out any knots that might be in the wood. I didn't think of that until I was done, so mine are a bit, er, rustic, looking. Then all that needs to be done is to hang with your choice of hardware. They have made a world of difference already in a room that looked like this.

     Doesn't that make your eyes start twitching and your hair curl? I. hate. mess. So now we at least have this small spot of order.


     They are just right for little hands to take one and also to return it. Although we are still working on the return part! The sides are just open, I don't think it would be too hard to add a small block if you needed to.



     These pictures make the walls look very yellow, its a lot softer of a yellow in person. At any rate, these cost just under $10 a piece to make. I'm loving them! Here's a peek at whats coming soon for the rest of that mess in there.


     Hope to have more progress to report soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment