Friday, August 19, 2011

Rocking Chair Cushion

      I finished my last project I wanted to sew for the girls' room. This rocking chair is super cute, but not so comfy to sit in. It definitely needed a cushion of some kind.


     My mom kindly did all the hard part and cut everything out for me. I just sewed it together. This is basically how you make a cushion like this. Cut out some foam to fit your particular chair.


      Use the foam as a pattern to cut out your fabric.


       Sew fabric around cording to make your piping.


      Sew the piping and whatever your ties are (I just used ribbon) to one layer of the fabric.


       Sew the second layer of fabric to this, right sides together. Flip right side out and stuff the in the foam.


      Hand sew the opening shut. I would not leave the opening in the front like I did, because then your hand sewing is in the front. My hand sewing is not super lovely so that wasn't the smartest thing to do for me.
     I was going to add fabric covered buttons to make a tuffed cushion. I don't know if I just bought cheap buttons or what, but they kept coming apart while I was sewing them on so I gave up on it. I think it looks just fine without them.


      I'll show you the finished room in my next post. Well, as "finished" as anything ever gets in my house that is!
      
"Wherefore, my beloved brethern, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:"
James 1:19

Linking to:
Freckled Laundry

3 comments:

  1. Cute! What a great idea! I have a wooden rocking chair, and the back of it is COLD on any exposed skin during those nighttime nursing sessions. Maybe I'll have to make me a nice cushion cover like this.

    Thanks!

    Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious, did you use upholstery fabric for this project? If not, how did it hold up? Did the ties tend to rip if used with a more light-weight fabric? Thanks, and awesome work! LOVE the bible verses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful content as always. I love how you talk about the projects and topics in detail. Keep the articles coming.
    tufted chair cushion.

    ReplyDelete