Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fabric Flowers


      I wanted to see if I could come up with some pretty hair accessories for the little girlies. I checked out this tutorial and this tutorial to get myself started. I meshed the two and did it this way. First off, I cut a variety of circles from polyester material. It has to be polyester. Its better if you have a variety of textures, like sheer, satin and such. The circles don't need to be exact in anyway, just roundish shapes.


     Find a yummy smelling candle and use it to melt the edges of your circles. Don't burn yourself or light your fabric on fire, you just want to melt it.


      It will curl all up like so.


      Next, I cut slits to create my petals.


     Continue doing this until you have a stack of four or five. Use different colors, and texture to add interest.


      Pinch in the center and hand sew a few stitches to hold it in place. Sew a few beads or pearls to the center and add a feather for pretties.


     I hot glued a felt circle to the back and an alligator clip so that I can clip them to whatever I want. A piece of stretch lace makes a wonderfully quick and cute headband.


     Mix and match colors to fit whatever look you are aiming for.


     Use them as hair accessories, clip on bags, clothes, wreaths, etc. for a bit of floral fun.


      Happy Labor Day!


"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:"
Isaiah 26:3-4 

2 comments: