Monday, April 16, 2012

Elastic and Tank Tops

      Welcome to a new week! I hope you had a grand weekend! I don't have a full blown tutorial today...just a little tid-bit that you might find useful. I made two new tank tops last week to put into my shop.



       I did something a little different with these, that I have not tried before. The neckline on these is elasticized, but instead of the traditional casing and elastic, I used cording.


        I sewed the extra "ruffle" onto the shirt first. Then I sewed as if I was top stitching, but I had the cording sandwiched in between my pressure foot and the seam.


       You just have to make sure that you sew the end really securely before you begin. After you are done, you pull the cord as tight as you want it to be, and sew down the other end.


        I really think it feels softer to wear against the skin. It does what I need it to do, but it doesn't feel hard or constricting at all.


      One other random tip I'll just throw out, if you sew on satin type fabric like this, it reeeeaaaally helps to use a nice sharp needle. I normally sew on knits, so I had my machine set up for that. I kept snagging the fabric until I realized my needle was the problem.
      Have you ever used cording? What did you do with it? Any tips you'd care to share?

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
Pin It

linking to:
Between Naps on the Porch
My Girlish Whims
Sew Much Ado
Someday Crafts

4 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious so wish you were here. I just pulled out an old ruffled dress that I bought last year for $5 that I was going to turn into a one shoulder top. :) So thank for the cording tip I was going to use elastic or just see what happened with elastic thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just love the way the dots fall on that top, and the asymmetrical design. Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are darling! And I love that you can wear a bra with them ... that is my biggest frustration with summer tank tops!

    I'm going to check out your Etsy now...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete