Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Color Block Tank

      You might have noticed quite a bit of color block looks going around this season. I have, and I quite like them. You can use color blocking in a bold, dramatic way, pastel, or even a monochromatic look. I picked up some random fabric the other day, and when I got home, I notice just how well the colors went together...kind of a happy accident!


     The sky is the limit on how you can piece the fabric together. I chose to stick to straight lines for simplicity's sake. This fabric is sort of a cross between linen and chambray, so it had absolutely no stretch to it. Here is my "pattern" for this type of tank. The green lines represent how I sectioned out the shirt. Simply divide the shirt length into the amounts you want for each color strip. The strap width depends on your preference.


      I've decided that my french curve ruler is my new best friend. If you don't have one, pick one up the next time you are the fabric store. They are so super helpful when trying to achieve a uniform curve. Here are my sections before sewing them together.


      The sewing is very simple. Sew the strips together. Sew the shoulders and side seams. Hem. The hardest part of this shirt is just figuring out the measurements for each piece. Once you have that, you are home free.


      I know I didn't include a lot of step by step pictures, so if you have questions, let me know. These tanks will be for sale in both my Etsy shop and AJ's Boutique. What do you think of color blocking? Do tell.

Joshua 1:9   Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment